Friday, October 5, 2007

Blanket statements kill me...

While doing some research on my favorite man-crush of the moment, Pierre Thomas, I noticed a note RE: Aaron Stecker from the folks at KFFL in my keeper league.

"New Orleans Saints RB Aaron Stecker will take a bulk of RB Deuce McAllister's (ACL) carries for the rest of the season. McAllister has been placed on Injured Reserve."

Who are these people? Stecker? Get most of McAllister's carries? Huh?

Perhaps we forgot that when Bush came to the team in 2006, Stecker had 4 carries for 11 yards. Doesn't that say something when a player that has roughly the same skill set as your newly drafted star player can't make the field?

Moving on...you'll also note that Sean Payton had a lot of good things to say about Pierre Thomas in this Thursday's press conference. I took special interest in the part of Payton's conference where he compares Thomas' effort to that of Colston's training camp of 2006. My bunny ears just perked up on that one.

I don't think Coach Payton has an idea about how the whole running back situation is going to turn out yet, but he's already said that Bush is the featured back for the week. The Panthers can make a lot of teams look good, so if Bush has a big game, I would temper that enthusiasm. (I like Bush a lot, but I'm not sold on him getting the tough yards.)

If the Saints are going to pound the ball, which I think they're going to do to get their leaky defense off the field as much as possible - you're looking at possibly 35+ running plays.

From Sean Payton - RE: Reggie Bush this week:

"From a numbers standpoint, you're still looking at...maybe not as many receptions and some more carries - 18 to 20 (per game)"

That's about 15 or so carries that will be hanging out there - I think Pierre shows some flashes this week - and in a week or two, I would expect Stecker to be back on mostly special teams and maybe some passing downs.

No comments: